PHOTO: Nigerian Mission reacts to South Africa 'quit notice'
The continued threats and Xenophobic attacks by
South Africans to fellow African brothers and sisters living in South Africa,
has taken another dimension...
Foreigners in SouthAfrica are not new to attacks, and this time, some youths in South Africa, are alleged to have
issued a ‘quit notice’ to all non-South Africans living in some towns to leave
or face the consequences...a quit notice that was mostly targeted at
Nigerians...
While reacting to the report, the Nigerian Mission
as reported by NAN, said:
“I engaged the union leader who has given me the
graphic details of what happened,” he said.
“In view of that I have engaged with the
authorities here to bring in the community, the police and the Nigerians living
there for a meeting so as to prevent any mayhem.
“On Monday, I am going to dispatch our officials to
the Northern Cape Province to engage in a meeting with the local police and the
community for a tripartite meeting.”
The high commissioner said that he would also meet
with the authority to ensure that instruction was given to the police not to
allow any outbreak of violence.
“All we are trying to ensure is to nip in the bud
any breakdown of law and order or anything that could lead to violence.
“So, we in the embassy are on top of the situation.
And I am engaging the union leader and my office is equally engaging the South
African Foreign Ministry on the issue.
“So, I believe with this measure we will be able to
contain all these excesses,” he concluded...
Meanwhile, the Federal Government are yet to make
any statement as regarding the alleged quit notice...

Comments
Post a Comment